HARDER LLP is a law firm that specializes in litigation and reputation protection. Our focus is on business, defamation, privacy, media, First Amendment, entertainment and intellectual property cases. Our clients include Fortune 500 companies and several of the most famous people in the world including A-list motion picture and television actors, major entertainment producers, and the President and First Lady of the United States.
Charles Harder has handled media, entertainment, intellectual property and business litigation matters throughout the United States. In 2017 he was named “California Lawyer of the Year” in Media (winning the CLAY Award). In multiple years, including 2018, he was listed in the “Top 100 Lawyers in California” by the Daily Journal newspaper, and named a “Super Lawyer” by Thomson Reuters. In four different years, including 2017, he was named one of the Top 100 “Power Lawyers” in America (one of only 30 litigators) by The Hollywood Reporter.
Mr. Harder also serves as Editor and Co-Author of ENTERTAINMENT LAW & LITIGATION (LexisNexis 2011-2018 editions) (Matthew Bender). Many legal experts consider the book to be the definitive treatise on the subject and it is used as a basis for law school classes, including at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
Some of Mr. Harder’s more prominent cases include:
- In 2018, Mr. Harder defeated a defamation lawsuit filed by Stormy Daniels and won an attorneys’ fees award against her on behalf of the President of the United States.
- In 2017, Mr. Harder obtained a multi-million dollar settlement payment, and full retraction and apology, online and in print, for the First Lady of the United States, Melania Trump, in a defamation lawsuit against the Daily Mail.
- In 2017, Mr. Harder filed a $100 million defamation case against Univision and Telemundo on behalf of the heir to Mexican pop icon Juan Gabriel.
- In 2016, Mr. Harder obtained a $140 million jury verdict for Hulk Hogan (real name Terry Bollea), in a right of privacy action against Gawker Media, which caused Gawker Media to file for bankruptcy and sell its assets to the highest bidder in a bankruptcy auction.
- In 2011, Mr. Harder obtained an $18 million trial verdict, and defeated a $5 million counterclaim, on behalf of Cecchi Gori Pictures against a Hollywood producer who misappropriated valuable film rights.
- In 2010, Mr. Harder obtained a total defense verdict on behalf of Top 5 worldwide videogame publisher, UBISOFT, against an $11 million claim that proceeded both in international arbitration and the United States District Court.
Jeffrey Abrams, the managing partner, is an entertainment, intellectual property and business litigator and outside general counsel, having practiced at international law firm of Katten Muchin & Zavis LLP, as in-house counsel at Universal Music, and as Vice President and General Counsel of Global Icons, a leading licensing agency. Mr. Abrams has been repeatedly listed as a “Super Lawyer” by Southern California Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business.
Mr. Abrams is a leading expert on celebrity estates and serves as outside general counsel to Brando Enterprises, L.P. (owner of the rights to the legendary Marlon Brando) and to the Julia Child Foundation.
HARDER LLP has, for years, represented a long list of major celebrities and celebrity estates, working with their various professional representatives to protect their reputations, privacy, safety, IP and publicity rights (name and image) against a variety of violators including defamers, commercial infringers, impostors, aggressive paparazzi, stalkers, drone operators, cyberhackers, frauds, cheats and extortionists.
Our firm also represents corporate and business clients, both large and small, in the protection of their corporate reputations and brands, intellectual property rights, and confidential information and trade secrets.